Saturday, May 24, 2014

Healthy Elvis Froyo

Awhile back, I was laying in bed before falling asleep and I was looking at the app "shopkick" and saw a Cuisinart ice cream machine on there. With excitement, I showed my hubby. "Look at this thing...we totally need that!". To which he replied, "You have that. It's in the basement."

No. Way.

I guess we got it a couple of years ago and since we had no room in our condo, it went to the storage locker...and there it sat. I got it out the next day and have been looking for ideas for ice cream ever since.

I was thinking of a Greek yogurt idea after eating a yummy, honey yogurt bar the other day. I started to brainstorm what goes with honey? As a runner, I frequently top my toast with honey, peanut butter and bananas. Seems logical to me...it's a great combo! But you see...we have a "mix in" feature to our machine. What can we mix into this treat?? Chocolate chips seem like they would be yummy, but kind of expected and normal. I wanted something fun. I opened up my fridge and bacon popped right out at me. ELVIS LIVES!

After experimenting with this, it turns out the bacon is better sprinkled on top. And the mini chips are a welcomed addition (but feel free to omit them if you want...Elvis didn't add chocolate chips to his sandwiches).





This recipe is weight watcher friendly, too! It is 4 points per a half cup serving. I honestly think it tastes better than Ben and Jerry's Banana Peanut Butter Greek Yogurt, which weighs in at 6 points (and doesn't have chocolate or peanut butter). Gotta love that!


Ingredients

Instructions

  • Mix all ingredients, besides bacon and chocolate chips, with a blender and pour into a ice cream machine and follow machine instructions. Either use a "mix in" setting for chocolate, or hand mix then in right after the froyo sets (about 2 minutes before it will be done). Sprinkle bacon bits on top.

 
 Our lovely newish machine!
 
 
 Put all the gooey goods in the blender....


 Liquefy the stuff...shouldn't have any banana lumps in it!


 Your bacon should be EXTRA crispy!


 Pour the liquefied stuff into the ice cream maker.


 My machine takes 12-15 minutes, but I start checking at 10!!


 There you have it...Healthy Elvis Froyo!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment