Friday, May 30, 2014

A Day Out With Thomas - Review

My son loves Thomas the Train. I tried to fight it at first. My being a Disney addict and all. I bought him Chuggington, but it just didn't cut it. Thomas is where it's at for little ones!

This is my first year at home with the kids for the summer, so I was excited when I realized I would be able to take them to see Thomas when he came to the Cuyahoga Valley Railroad. Then I saw the price. At first it didn't seem like a lot, but then I though about it..three tickets at $18 a piece...$54 AND processing fees to ride a train back and forth for 20 minutes?!? But we did it...and here I am. I figured I'd write a review to help those of you who are trying to decide if it is worth it.

My husband had wanted to go and because he works weekends, we had to plan for the first ride of the day on a Sunday. This actually worked out perfect because there was less of a crowd! Easier parking and less kids playing in the areas before the ride. I would recommend this strategy if you want to beat the crowds and the heat!

We pulled in and used the porta potties(which there were plenty of), then headed inside. Everyone we came in contact with had bright smiles and looked genuinely happy to be there. They give you a sheet to stamp at each "station". Once the sheet is filled you return it for s surprise. We found this to be a nice way to make sure you don't miss anything!

First stop...the model trains! We watched a small Thomas chug around for a minute or two and then headed over to get a photo with Thomas!




Next it was on to the toy train area. This was a nice spot to let both of our kids down to play for a bit. A couple of minutes passed an we heard an announcement to board the train!! Here we go!


During the down and back ride they played music, which was the same song...over and over. I wish they had mixed it up some. It didn't seem to bother the kids, of course, but I heard more than one parent comment about the music. There was a conductor that came around and punched tickets and they also took a picture on board which can be bought online after the fact. Our 18 month old was squirmish on board. If you bring a toddler, you might want to bring something for them to do. She had no interest in the actual ride. Our 4 year old loved it, but I think he would have enjoyed it more if we had just taken him to the scenic railroad for a "real" ride. The down and back was just kind...meh.


It was nice to spend the morning together as a family. We don't get enough of that!!

After we got back, we headed over to meet Sir Topham Hatt. He hadn't been there prior to the ride. My little guy has plenty of experience with meeting "fur characters". That is a Disney term for those characters that do not speak; as opposed to a "face character", like Snow White or Peter Pan would be. He had a blast with Sir Topham, however my little girl was unsure and a little freaked out.


After we left this area we did the bouncy houses and wrapped up our day! All in all it was a nice way to spend a Sunday morning. I'm glad we went, however I do not think we would do it again.

I hope my review has helped you understand what to expect from the event...and as always feel free to comment with any questions, or email me at eva.baker382@gmail.com!!


No comments:

Post a Comment